Welcome to Our 60th Anniversary Season
On behalf of everyone at the Okanagan Symphony Orchestra I am thrilled to welcome you to our 2019\/2020 season. We are celebrating 60 years of music making throughout the Okanagan! Our programming for this special anniversary season is designed to shine a spotlight on our musicians, the heart and soul of the OSO.
Sixty years ago, a committed group of volunteers in Penticton, BC led by Eva and Hugh Cleland and Bev and George Gay, nurtured a group of largely amateur musicians to present the first concert of the Okanagan Symphony Orchestra in March 1960. Willem Bertsch became the first Music Director. He would pilot himself from Vancouver and quickly became known as “The Flying Conductor”. After several years, Leonard Camplin succeeded Bertsch as Music Director and over the next thirty\-six years under Camplin’s direction, the OSO flourished and became a fully professional orchestra.
It was one of the best days of my life when I succeeded Doug Sanford, becoming the Music Director of the OSO in 2007. Over the course of the past decade, the OSO has continued to foster a spirit of excellence on our main stage. We have also made great strides in imagining and producing concerts and events that reach beyond our concert stages into our communities through our many outreach and education activities. We believe in a future where everyone in the Okanagan has access to their Okanagan Symphony Orchestra.
During this exciting season we will present a smorgasbord of concerts that feature our own musicians as soloists and composers. We will introduce new artists and welcome back old friends. We will discover new music, and revisit old masters. We will bring the orchestra into our communities and engage with all ages through a variety of programs. We will co\-create a new show for school audiences with wonderful artists of the Syilx people, celebrating the animals of the Okanagan.
Please join us as we celebrate our diamond anniversary. We have a great season planned and we can’t wait to get started.
- Show end times are not guaranteed and may vary depending on artist. Discounts cannot be combined with any other offer. Subject to regular fees. Discounts on base ticket price, not including handling fees and GST. All sales final.
- Show Times: Evening Performances at 7:30pm
- Ticket Prices: Adult $54.76+ Tax and Fees | Seniors (65yrs+) $47.26 + Tax and fees | Student $25.26 + Tax and Fees | Front Row $23.51+ Tax and Fees
- Kelowna Performance Location: Kelowna Community Theatre, 1375 Water St, Kelowna BC
- Penticton Performance Location: The Cleland Community Theatre, 325 Power St, Penticton, BC
- Open Dress Rehearsals: Friday, Feb. 7th 1:30PM (Diamond Anniversary) | Friday, Mar. 6th 2:00PM (Old Friends) | All open dress rehearsals take place at the Kelowna Community Theatre and are by donation (recommended donation of $10).
- Shareable Link: https://www.kelownatickets.com/online/article/OSOAllEvents